Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Day Job Versus My Passion


First of all I just wanted to give credit where credit is due, I found this topic from Chris Brogan.


My Day Job vs. My Passion. These two things are gloved up, in the ring, sweating, and duking it out for the number one position. It is one of the major stress factors in my life and in my marriage. I have a few passions in my life: baking, photography, music, & helping people. I've been spending the past five or so years figuring out what passion I'm going to choose for my career. It's been one big battle between my husband and I. His passion vs mine. You see, we can't both get what we want. He wants to be in one place and I want to be in another. He can't do his passion where I do mine. It just isn't going to happen. (We've tried! Remember the VT fiasco? Yeah...)

I've been dealing with this a lot lately. How is it fair that he gets to pick where we go? I guess it all comes down to a pay check. He makes one and I don't. It's pretty black and white. So we have to go where we can make the best for our family, more directly, Elizabeth. In Ross's line of work I need to be flexible. I need to be a constant for Elizabeth because Ross won't be able to be one. He won't be home at the same time every day. He won't always have the same days off. He might have to go away for more training. I was talking to a very good friend of mine the other day and he gave me some insight. It's all about growing up. You can't always get what you want and sometimes you have to sacrifice for the greater good of the people around you.

It's not like this is a whole new concept for me. It's been eating away at me for a while now, I just don't want to accept it. I struggle with feeling like being married and being a mother has taken away so much of me. It has completely stripped me of my dreams. I don't think it means I need to give them up, that's just ridiculous. It just means that I need to be realistic. I need to figure out a "day job" of sorts and practice my passions on the side. Maybe someday I will get my chance but for now, I need to let it go.

It hurts, it's like losing a loved one. Any mother and wife can relate with me when I say, you already give so much of yourself. It's hard to give up everything. I don't want anyone to think that I don't love my family, I do. I just hate feeling like I can't have my cake and eat it too. Other women seem to be able to juggle it all, why can't I? The reality is, we don't live close enough to family. We don't have the support system of friends and family close by who can help us out. It's us. Mommy, Daddy, Lizzie. We don't have anyone else to count on.

So here I am. I have the glass of water. It's sitting on the counter and the pill is in my hand. Now I just need to put it in my mouth and swallow. I just know that when I swallow that pill, that's it. There is no taking it back.


ETA: A friend, Ramee, just posted this quote on her FB today. It certainly speaks to me right now.

"The Lord doesn't 'bend the rules' for your happiness. He wants us to do what is right, not what feels good."

5 comments:

  1. Staceface, I know this is a subject that is hard for you, because it's something you've been struggling with and trying to figure out for years. One day your time will come and you'll be able to make all your dreams for yourself come true! You are a beautiful person, inside and out and a great wife to ross and guarantee you are lizzie's hero. I love you lady! Hang in there.. your time is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Stace- boy do I understand this one. I struggle with the same things every day of my life. It's hard to be a mom and a wife- and sometimes the rewards from this aren't enough to feel completely fulfilled- and there's a guilt in that. I struggle, too, with worrying that Adam and I aren't following the same path, and whether or not love is enough to get through. I'm here if you want to talk- any time. (May mean I have to give my kids bowls of marshmallows to keep them quiet, stick them in front of the TV, and lock myself in the bathroom...but I'm here!) Hugs to you- and for what it's worth, I think you're a wonderful momma and wife, and an inspiration to others. You are the perfect picture of strenth and determination, and I feel blessed to you know you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Stace..i am sorry that you are feeling this way. I totally understand where you're from. I think everyone should do what they want and what their passion is. What about trying to be a photographer like all the other girls with kids and working hubbys??? You can make appointments when you know Ross is at home and when you know you're having no time you're stying at home....you can be flexible.
    In my opinion you won't be happy in life when you have the wish to follow your passion. Good luck hun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacy, you are clearly a fantastic wife and mother to put Ross and Lizzie before yourself like this. I know how hard it can be to be alone in a strange place and to just feel stuck in a rut you can't get out of. Why don't you look at online degrees? I know SUNY Plattsburgh has a great social worker program and most of the women in the classes (I took a few) ARE moms, so the professors/instructors understand that life happens. It breaks my heart to think that you would have to give up your hopes and dreams forever. It's still do-able! Don't loose hope!

    ReplyDelete