Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day 20


Day 20 - A picture of somewhere you'd love to travel.

Photobucket

This is a picture of the Vilnius city municipality in Lithuania.

I'd love to travel all over the world but one place I'd really like to go is Lithuania. I'm sure most of you are like, "Why in the heck would she want to go there??" Well...my Great Grandparents came from Lithuania when they were young and moved to Cambridge, NY. If it weren't for them I wouldn't be here. It's crazy to think how different your life could have been if you were born in a completely different country. Who am I kidding really...if they had never come to New York I wouldn't be here. So for that alone I am truly thankful that they took the long journey here to have a better life. I'm sure that I have family out there that I've never even heard of. I'd love to get in touch with them and learn about our culture. Most importantly I'd love to take my Great Aunt there so she could see where her parents grew up. This trip will probably never happen but it's something I always dream about.

Here's a little crazy side story to go with this post...

Last year the base hired a new guy. Around the same time I was getting ready to move back to New York because Ross had to go to the academy. Ross ended up living with and going to the academy with this new guy. The crazy thing is, guess where this guy was from? Lithuania! He hadn't lived there in quite a few years but he was born and raised there and still has lots of family who reside there. I was so excited because I had never met anyone from Lithuania before and I had so many questions. Luckily this guy was a trooper and let me ask him all sorts of annoying questions. He no longer works here so there are many things about Lithuania that are still a mystery to me but I hope that someday I will get to go there and figure it all out first hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment