Saturday, October 30, 2010

"Photography"


I don't consider myself a photographer by any means of the imagination. I wouldn't even consider it a serious hobby because all I have is a fancy shmancy computer that allows me to do basic editing and a sony cybershot, point and shoot, camera. I don't really know anything about lighting or angels and posing is completely alien to me. I would say though, that I like to take pictures. If I had infinite wall space my house would be covered in all my amateur snapshots. However, I don't have miles upon miles of blank walls so I take the painstaking, long process of choosing my favorites. Even though I have finished decorating the apartment I still have empty or old pictures in frames because I just don't want to take on the daunting task of picking and choosing.

I've come to the point in my life where I need to suck it up and just choose. Now that NECI is no longer in the picture I've decided to go to photography school. I feel like this is a huge risk, like I'm stepping off this giant cliff, hoping and praying my parachute opens. What happens if I spend all this money on school and I end up folding shirts at the Gap for the rest of my life? What if I'm just not any good? My biggest fear...failing. I'm so afraid to build a business for myself as a photographer. Ross says to me "That is the all American dream...to start a business of your choice and to be successful at it." Well yes, yes it is. I just think our ancestors who came here through Ellis Island had a hell of a lot more cojones than I do.

Anyway, I thought i'd share some of my favorite pictures from this past year. Like I said before, I don't pose pictures for the simple fact that I just don't know how. I just pick up my camera, start clicking, and this is what the result is. Please be kind, I know they aren't anywhere near perfect but I love them for what they are. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

My Mom enlarged this photo and has it hanging up in her house which has me beyond flattered.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is one of my favorites of Elizabeth. Ross was going through my pictures the other day and said "wow, this is incredible." That pretty much made my day :)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is a sunflower in my parents back yard that grew from a lonely little seed that the birds left behind.
Photobucket

Photobucket

This was taken in the same spot where Jackie and I did our Trash the Dress session.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm going to enlarge these next two and hang them in my bedroom as part of a series..
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Amazing pictures i really like them, im not professional but i am taking the basic digital class from what iv learned and my personal opinions these pictures are all great.
    About the editing you will learn that there are steps that all photographs have done to them... the pros dont just take great pictures and print them right away...
    I encourage you to try this and im sure youll learn so much...
    I guess only thing i can say is its a pricy hobbie and profession.... The cameras cost money the acessories cost money and the prints and sofetware cost money...its the only down fall. If you are good and you get customers you will be able to do fine.
    Good luck with it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these are all amazing especially to be taken with a point and shoot. I like taking pictures too and Jordan's encouraging me to "open" my own photography business around here but I feel so cliche and I feel like my pictures aren't that special. But, we're our own worst critics so maybe sometimes we should just listen to what other people have to say.

    ReplyDelete