Monday, September 13, 2010

Say what? We're moving?

October is creeping up on me pretty quickly and that means moving day is almost here. I can't remember the last time I updated on this whole fiasco but we finally found a cute apartment. It has an upstairs/downstairs with a basement with washer dryer hook-ups (hoorah!). The owner gutted the whole place and is re-doing it. I'm not sure what kind of appliances we'll have but I do know that there is all new plumbing, paint, and hardwood floors. Now we're just waiting for the owner to finish putting down the floors and we'll be set to move in. He said that we'll definitely be able to move in by the first but there is the possibility he'll be done beforehand. Ross and I are still figuring out the logistics so I don't have an exact moving date but I know it will be here before I know it.

As much as I can't wait to move out of my parents house, where Lizzie and I have been for the past year, and have our own place again...I hate moving. HATE it! LOATHE it!


-Something always gets broken. Always. And it's usually something important.

-We lose something. I don't know where it goes but the cardboard box monster must have a nice little collection of our things by now.

- I think I hate unpacking just as much as packing. I always get sick of it at the end and I end up with a box of odds and ends that gets shoved into a drawer or cupboard just so I can say I'm finished.

- The car ride. Ohhhhh the car ride. Nine hours of boring hell. Well wait, more like ten to eleven hours. Still pure hell. When I travel I like to have an empty car. I have NO idea why but the less in the car the better. If I could just put Lizzie, myself, some music, and a few snacks in the car i'd be a happy camper. Instead I have a the two of us, a grocery bag of snacks, a bucket of toys, a bag of books, wipes, extra clothes, and anything else we can shove into my car. I feel like the modern day Beverly Hillbilly's minus Grandma strapped to my roof in her rocking chair.

- Then after the move my car is covered in crumbs, dirt, and crayon wrappers. I think I have a mild heart attack while I beg and plead with my loving husband to help me bring it to the car wash.

- I feel the need to redecorate. Ok, so this part is kind of fun but not so fun on the bank account. I don't know if it's just me but whenever we move (which this will be the 5th time) I like to completely change our decorations. New blankets, new curtains, new color scheme, new candles, new pictures....I could go on here.

- Changing the registration on my car and getting a new license. An afternoon at the DMV, a really bad picture, and registration fees...need I say more?

- Cleaning. Now, I am the cleaning queen. I'm good at it. That doesn't mean I love it. I have to wash and all of our linens, the dishes, the cupboards, the counters, the floors, the windows, and anything that has a hard, cleanable surface.

- Cable and internet, or lack there of. I don't know what it is but it always takes a week or two until we can get hooked back up into the wonderful world of facebook and trashy TV.

- There's more, I know there is more. However, these are all things I will deal with. Why?

We can finally live as a family again, after more than 365 days apart. ♥

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I feel your pain--but maybe not as acutely since I haven't moved as much! For this last move, we washed EVERYTHING before we packed it (in a clean rag-lined box or clean bag) and then just speed cleaned the empty apartment before we brought stuff in. Bart was good on the cable. He called and scheduled a set-up date for three days after we moved in, so we really didn't have to wait and we had time to clean things up before the cable guy tramped through the apartment. If you call and schedule now, they might be able to hook you up the day after you move or something. It all seemed to work pretty well for us. Can't wait to see pictures of the new place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I washed everything when we moved back to NY but its all been in storage for a year so I know ill end up washing everything again. Haha Setting up the cable beforehand is a good idea! We've never been able to do that but with Ross being in Maine already hopefully we can do that. I just can't live without Facebook ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously! I wish I remembered life before Facebook.

    ReplyDelete