Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Women I Admire Project: Melissa

First of all I just wanted to thank those of you who read my blog. The things I write here come from an open and honest heart. I’ve been inspired and I hope that some of the things I write here inspire you or just give you a new perspective on your lives. I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to have a fresh start in my life. I have a new outlook (as you can see) and I hope to continue on this path. I want to empower women and show them their inner confidence. Being a mother and a wife I feel like i’ve lost sight of myself because I give so much to Ross and Elizabeth. I LOVE my life and wouldn’t want to trade it for the world but I know I need to be confident with myself and know who I am as a person [and not be afraid to be her!]. These things are key for having a happy, successful marriage and to be a strong role model for my daughter. I want her growing up knowing who she is and not being afraid to be herself because of what others may think. The great thing about society is that everyone is different and our uniqueness is what makes us beautiful. <3 With all of that said, I felt it was appropriate to start my WIA project with Melissa. She is the reason I got up off the couch and started this journey to a fresh start.

I came upon her story late and by accident. I was laying in bed one night, not able to sleep, so I was surfing facebook on my phone. She had posted a link to a blog; I was curious so I figured i’d browse. At first I thought to myself “Wow, this girl’s name is Melissa too!” and then I started reading older blog posts and realized that this mysterious Melissa was MY Melissa. At that point I just couldn’t stop, I think I read at least half of her entries and when I found “My Story” I was in tears. I had only known Melissa as my cousin-in-law who had gone to college to be a journalist, she was very successful, she was athletic, beautiful, sweet, and part of my family. I had no idea that in all of her "greatness" she was hiding a very secretive part of her life. I can't do her story justice so I encourage you to visit her blog Project Bare. Before you read her posts go here to read her story. Grab a box of tissues first and be moved...I promise it's worth it.

Her story was the motivation I needed to make a change in my life. I admire her for her honesty, her truth, her sincerity, her spirit, and for taking such a great leap of faith. If she had not shared her journey I probably wouldn't be here writing this for you today. Melissa's encouragement to others and to herself makes me want to be the woman i've always been afraid to be. I have this undeniable fear that if I put myself out there, I will be judged and people won't like me. Melissa has given me the strength to say "So what!?!? If you don't like me for who I am then I don't want you in my life." It took so much courage for her to put her life out there for everyone to read and if she can share such intimate details about herself than I can sure as hell do this. Melissa makes me feel like I'm not so alone. I can relate to her so much and it's such a breath of fresh air to have her by my side. She wrote in one of her entries how music is such an intimate thing. You would rather die than to share what playlists are on your IPod and that you secretly rock out to music that you haven't admitted to loving since middle school (or at all!). How true is that? But also, how true is it that we can all relate to the "embarrassing" playlist. Melissa, I admire you for sharing your "playlist" with us all, for having the guts to do it in the first place, and for being a pillar for other women to lean up against and to look up to. I am so blessed to have you in my life. Thank You, for everything.

3 comments:

  1. I, too, am totally inspired by Melissa's courage. I commented there on her blog, but wow. I think that I'm still too much of a coward to be so bold, but I'm looking at things differently since moving to California.

    I used to very seriously think, like you said, that if people really knew me, they wouldn't like me. It wasn't that I was fake, but that I hid my flaws in any way that I could. I was reserved. I used to think that people liked me because they've always been my friends, and was terrified of making new friends when I moved out to California.

    Since I've moved here, I've realized that I don't have to be anything that I'm not. I've met some awesome people out here, life has just brought them my way, and without a doubt they like me. I still struggle with feeling inadequate, but the people around me don't make me feel that way. Living with my husband has also brought me a greater appreciation for how deep his love for me is; how far beyond everything superficial it goes.

    I'm sure that you will find the same thing as you open up, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sam...in a way it makes me feel better knowing that you too feel inadequate at times. It's hard for me to truly open up to people sometimes and I hate always feeling like I'm being judged. I'm sad that you feel the same way I do though, it's so hard always putting on a face, so to speak, every day. I hope you can open up to :) We can do it together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Stace! :) I'm liking this new blog a lot! :) It's definitely showing a much happier side of my Stace that I have been missing for a while now :)
    I'm sure you know this but you write beautifully and I'm looking forward to the next part of your WIA project :)
    Kudos to you for taking a stand for yourself and turning over a new leaf... Melissa isn't the only inspiring one... YOU are too!
    love you!

    ReplyDelete